Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Spinach and Mushroom Greek Penne



I was never going to be the mom with picky eaters for kids (you know, the one whose kids order chicken strips at an ethnic restaurant...). That was never going to be me. And yet, here I am with a 12 year old and 9 year old that are PICKY eaters!

I am always on the look out for healthy meals that will incorporate veggies into my growing boys' bodies. I love to cook, but am at a point in my life that during the week if it takes more than a half hour, or I can't throw it in a crock pot before I leave for work, breakfast for dinner it is!
My weeknight recipes have to be picky eater friendly also need to be quick and easy so I can throw a meal together in between homework and all of the boys' activities. And, most importantly, nutritious.  This pasta with a Greek twist (adapted from an Our Best Bites recipe) has become one of my family's favorite weeknight meals and I am sure will become one of yours as well.




You start with a few minimal ingredients:


1. Boil your water and get the pasta going.  While the pasta is cooking (I like to get penne rigate, with the ridges, because the sauce gets stuck to the pasta more easily and you can taste the flavor better), prep your veggies.  Feel free to use whole wheat, whole grain pasta, or gluten free pasta, if your family has preferences or sensitivities. (Quick tip:  If you don't have a garlic press, get one!  So much time is saved by throwing the garlic in the press in stead of having to mince it. Just something simple, like this from Ikea will do the trick!)

2. Heat up the olive oil and saute the onion, red pepper, and garlic in some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) until the onion is transparent. (Make sure to add a lot of garlic here.  This is where a lot of the flavor for the dish comes from.)


3.Next add the tomatoes. You can throw the tomatoes in whole as they will cook down. I like to just slice them once quickly down the middle so they cook up faster.
Add salt and pepper to taste at this point. I don't add much salt as the feta and kalamata olives (if adding them) have enough sodium for my taste. Sometimes I add the olives, and sometimes I don't. You can't go wrong either way!



4. After about 1-2 minutes of sauteing the tomatoes , add the mushrooms and spinach.  (The great part about cooking spinach is that you just need to loosely chop it as it will cook down). Here is where I make sure to add a TON of spinach. It is a super food, but the taste isn't overwhelming and so it is easily hidden in this dish. That way they have to eat a TON of it with every bite :).



5.The pasta should be done cooking by now. Drain and toss with the veggies. Add the feta cheese and olives, and you are done!

How easy was that? 20 min and you have a healthy, delicious meal full of flavor and not a lot of fuss.





Spinach and Mushroom Greek Penne
Lightly adapted from Our Best Bites
Cook and Prep time: 20-25 minutes

Ingredients:

16 oz penne pasta (whole wheat, whole grain, or your favorite gluten-free are fine here)
6-7 cloves of garlic
1 small onion
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1/2 red pepper diced
4 generous hand fulls of spinach
1/2 container of fresh mushrooms
1 Cup feta cheese
handful of kalamata or black olives (optional)


Cook pasta according to package directions. While cooking, heat some EVOO in a pan. Add onions, red pepper, and garlic and sauté until onions are transparent. Add the tomatoes and cook 1-2 minutes. Then throw in the loosely chopped spinach and chopped mushrooms and sauté until they are cooked down (2-3 minutes is usually sufficient). Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss the veggie mixture with the cooked pasta in a bowl and then add the feta cheese (and olives if adding). Sprinkle some extra feta cheese on top if desired.


Serves 6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment