Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Baby-Led Weaning (Solids)


When I found out I was pregnant (almost two years ago) one of my first reactions was “holy cow, how on earth do I take care of a BABY?!” I was excited, obviously, but realized I really had no clue how to take care of a newborn. Then came my reading obsession about babies; if there is a book about babies on the library shelf, there is a 99.9% chance I read the book. Because of all the reading and researching I felt like I knew every “method” of baby raising, and I was able to modge podge all of my favorite’s into my own version of child rearing. (which turned out great, by the way. Baby sleeping through the night by 10 weeks? Yes please.)

When time got closer for Calvin to start eating solids, the same thing happened (book frenzy). I remembered my sister Natalie telling me about Baby-Led Weaning, and how it worked wonders for her little man, I decided to pick the book up, along with a few others. I instantly fell in LOVE with the idea; bonus, the thought of feeding my child rice cereal kind of gave me the heebie geebies.

Like the whole newborn rearing, I definitely made my own version of BLW, and both my husband and I felt comfortable with the way we ended up introducing solids, and let me tell you; almost everyday I get a comment like “Claire, he is SUCH a great eater!”

Here we are; now that I have given you that rather lengthy introduction, you can choose to go to another web address, or just stick with me as I take you on the journey of BLW.


WHAT IS BLW?

The phrase Baby-Led Weaning first came around in from Tracy Murkett and Gill Rapley’s book about introducing your child to foods through self feeding and skipping the mush. The basic ideas are introducing your child to table food before pureed foods; teaching to self-feed instead of spoon-feeding.

One of the main theories behind BLW is that when introducing babies to solids, its important to help them learn to chew before they learn to swallow, thus giving them finger food that they can learn how to gnaw, chew, and strengthen their jaw muscles with.

Some of my main concerns were about spicy-ness, too much seasoning, choking and the lack of teeth (he didn’t get his first teeth till he was 11 months).

Fun Facts: If you are breastfeeding, your child naturally experiences different flavors every time they eat, so you don’t need to worry about introducing the seasonings being too much for them to handle. If you are formula feeding, they will adjust well, but I would season your food a little less than usual to help their palate adjust. My other big concern was his lack of teeth. One thing that the book taught me was the incredible strength of babies jaw muscles. If you are a nursing mama and have ever been bitten by a toothless baby, you’d understand. Let me just tell you, their jaws are SO MUCH STRONGER than you realize.

BENEFITS

  • One of the biggest and most important benefits I have found to this is completely selfish; I NEVER had to make separate food for Calvin. I have had a few friends tell me it’s hard for them to cook dinner every night because they like to make a “nice” meal for the adults, and then turn around and make a “kid” meal for their little one(s).
  • Kids learn to control what goes into their mouths and when, thus helping them learn from a young age their body cues of hunger and satiation.
  • Because your kids are eating what you’re eating, you naturally will make healthier, well rounded meals to ensure that your children are getting their proper nutrients.
  • You will never have to make the frustrating transition from “baby” food to “kid” food to “adult” food.
  • BLW kids are less likely to develop picky habits. Like all people, they will show their preferences, but kids who follow BLW are less likely to become “picky eaters”.
  • BLW also encourages more sit-down, family meal time.
This is a salad with chicken, avocado, spinach, orange, feta and cranberries. Perfect for tiny hands!
HOW TO START

One of the beauties of this method is in its simplicity. The book gives these guidelines when you know your child is ready: Your child should be anywhere from 5-7 months when you begin, able to sit without support, and can reach, grab, and direct object to the mouth with pretty good accuracy. They should have lost their tongue-thrust reflex and show considerable interest in mealtime.

This is what our baby led solids journey looked like with Calvin:

When he was about 4.5 months old, we started putting him in his high chair to sit with us during meal times and we would give him things to play with. By the time he was 5 months old he was sitting with us and would start to gnaw, and learn how to chew on things. It was everything from steamed broccoli, rolls, cucumber, roasted asparagus and grilled chicken. He definitely didn’t get much out of those beginning stages, it was him just getting excited to eat what we were eating and figuring out his mouth.

At 5.5 months we knew he was ready to get more nutrition out of solids, because he wasn’t sleeping as well at nights. We tried to incorporate your typical baby foods at this point, but it didn’t work very well, so we decided to fully skip out “baby foods” and just spoon-feed him some table food so we knew he was getting something. It was wintertime at this point, which meant we were having a lot of soups, and this was PERFECT for Calvin. If you follow BLW by the book you aren’t ever supposed to spoon feed them, but I felt like this was essential for Calvin to actually get substance from food. We had lots of chicken tortilla soup, and he would pick at the cooked carrots, tomatoes and beans.

By the time he was 6.5 months old he was eating everything we were eating (actually eating, not just gnawing) and loving life.

One thing that we loved were the “Happy Tots” coconut yogurt melt ways. They are sweetened with coconut, and it helped him continue to learn how to chew, but they also dissolved so we didn’t have to worry about choking.


PRECAUTIONS
This is something that we DID talk to my doctor about and there were a few precautions that he gave us.

NEVER FOODS : Honey (until 1), raw carrots/root vegetables/whole nuts (until they have their back molars). Nut butters are ok around 9/10 months.

My husband worked with an ENT this past summer and saw multiple children (5 and under) who had inhaled grapes, nuts and carrot pieces into their lungs; sadly a few passed away, but a few kids had to go into emergency surgery to have them removed from their bronchioles.

My husband gave me strict instructions to include that last paragraph into this post to scare the readers. A safe rule of thumb is to always give your child cooked vegetables, and if it’s anything raw, it shouldn’t be perfectly round (grapes and blueberries should be cut in half) or hard and small (like nuts).


Please email if you have any other questions; I could chat about this ALL day. A few of us sisters have had raving success, as well as a few good friends of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment