Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Butternut Squash Curry

Starting in about mid July, you will quickly see if you even take a glance at Pinterest, that Fall is just about everyone and their mom's favorite season. Pumpkin. Changing leaves. Sweaters.Boots. Yes, we have heard a million and one reasons why Fall is the best time of the year. I enjoy fall, but I am not oddly obsessed with it. I do, however enjoy Fall harvest vegetables, especially butternut squash. Hands down my favorite squash on planet earth. I have a few butternut squash recipes for you, but today I am starting out with Butternut Squash Curry, because who doesn't love a good curry?


You will start out with a 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, 2 cups (1 15 oz can) of broth (chicken or vegetable), curry powder (pick your spice level), garam masala, salt/pepper, coconut milk (light or regular) butternut squash, EVOO, and frozen peas. 


For this recipe you will need about 3-4 cups of cubed butternut squash. This is roughly 1/2 a large butternut squash or a whole small butternut squash. I tend to buy my squashes from places like Trader Joe's (or Costco) where you don't pay per lb, so I can buy the biggest squash and use the second half for another dish. I like my cubes a little bit bigger, but you could chop them smaller if needed.
While you are at it you can go ahead and chop your onion. 


Gather your spices. I use 1 T of hot curry powder, 1 T of normal curry powder and 1 tsp of garam masala. You could either do all hot or all normal, but I recommend using the garam masala if you have it on hand. Toast your spices in a non stick skillet for about 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. This gives your curry a nice bold flavor. Don't skip this step!

In a large skillet heat 2 T of EVOO over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until fragrant 2-3 minutes. Add squash, toasted spices, and 1 tsp of salt. Sauté until well coated and fragrant, roughly 3-4 minutes. Add in broth, cover and let simmer until squash is tender, roughly 15-20 minutes.

 I like my curries to have a creamy texture, but I still prefer know what I am eating. I throw in about 1/3 of the mixture into a blender, but you could do up to 1/2 if you like it really creamy. Along with the squash mixture, add 1/2 C of coconut milk. Pulse a few times in a blender or food processor.


Return to skillet, mixing in peas, the rest of the coconut milk, and rinsed garbanzo beans. Let simmer for 5 minutes until heated through. Add salt, to taste. 

Lets talk naan bread. I pretty much refuse to eat indian food without naan bread, but I am rather picky when it comes to said naan bread. My personal favorite store bought naan is the frozen garlic naan from Trader Joes. Natalie and I have a recipe for homemade naan that we prefer using over bought naan, but when I am not thinking ahead of time, this is my go-to naan bread.

Serve over basmati rice and a side of naan bread. Serves 4-5.

Ingredients:

1 small (or 1/2 large) butternut squash, cubed
1 medium onion, diced
1 C. Light Coconut Milk
2 C. (1 15 oz can) Broth
1 1/2 C Frozen Peas
2 T Curry Powder (hot or mild)
1 tsp Garam Masala
2 T Olive Oil (EVOO)
salt/pepper

Directions:
1. Peel and dice butternut squash. Dice onion. In a non-stick skillet, toast curry powder and garam masala, 2-3 minutes or until fragrant.

2. In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until fragrant 2-3 minutes. Add squash, toasted spices, and 1 tsp of salt. Sauté until well coated and fragrant, roughly 3-4 minutes. Add in broth, cover and let simmer until squash is tender, roughly 15-20 minutes.

3. Add 1/3-1/2 of squash mixture into blender or food processor with half of the coconut milk. Pulse a few times until it resembles a thick mixture (not like a creamy soup).

4.  Return to mixture to skillet, mixing in peas, the rest of the coconut milk, and rinsed garbanzo beans. Let simmer for 5 minutes until heated through. Add salt, to taste. Serve over basmati rice.

Serves 4-5

No comments:

Post a Comment