Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Avocado BLT Egg Salad



Hello there! It's been a while since I have posted. The holidays kept us busy around these parts. The holidays also left us feeling also heavy. Oh goodness, I always forget how much delicious food I end up consuming between the months of October-December. Between the dinners, holiday parties, goodie-baking for friends, the list just goes on and on and the scale just went up and up and so did the head aches.

When January came around I was so ready to start feeling good again, and after a lot of contemplation I decided to give Whole 30 a whirl. While I don't feel like eating this way is sustainable, nor healthy for long periods of time (too much meat, and I think grains are a healthy part of any food table, in moderation) , I have found it to be incredibly cleansing as well as powerful when it came to defining my relationship with food.

I am currently on day 24 of this whole 30 cleanse and have really loved it. No, it's not hard (childbirth is hard); yes it is challenging while 100% worth it. Today I am sharing one of my Whole 30 lunch staples: Avocado BLT Egg Salad. I can easily skip the bacon if I feel like I've had too much meat, and it is incredibly filling so I don't feel the urge to snack between lunch and dinner.

Start with 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped. I cut mine in half lengthwise, then cut each half into long strips, then cut horizontal. There are two ways you can go about hard boiling eggs, the normal stove-top or in the oven. I recently discovered the oven method and have really liked it. You can learn more about it here.

Along with the chopped eggs, you'll need a half of an avocado- diced, 1/4 cup of mayo. If you're doing Whole 30, make sure it's compliant mayo. I make my own- it's incredibly easy, cheap, and absolutely delicious. I used this recipe. Also add 1 cup cherry tomatoes- quartered (measured before they're cut), 4 strips of cooked, crispy bacon- chopped, and 1/8 tsp pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. 

Throw all your ingredients into a bowl and mix well. I kind of smash my eggs and avocado as I mix so the avocado gets blended up into the egg mixture.

And there you have it! You can add more salt and pepper to taste. My husband always eats it on toasted bread as a sandwich and always adds pickles because he likes the tang. I usually eat mine in lettuce, as a wrap. The possibilities are endless.

Enjoy!

Avocado BLT Egg Salad
The Everyday Veggies
Serves 3-4 

6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 ripe avocado, diced
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved and quartered (measured before cutting)
4 strips of cooked, crispy bacon, crumpled or finely chopped
1/4 cup mayo
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add all ingredients into bowl and mix well, mashing the avocado into the egg as you mix. There should be very few chunks of diced avocado as the end result. Top with extra salt and pepper as needed. Serve on bread as a sandwich, or in lettuce as lettuce wraps. Be creative!

-Claire

No comments:

Post a Comment