Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Cousin Carol's Carrot Salad



A few months ago my sister was in town visiting and we went to visit a cousin who live nearby. I got really excited when she insisted on lunch because she is a great cook and, of course, we were not disappointed.

She served the most delicious carrot salad and I simply could not get enough of it. In that past I've avoided carrot salads because they usually include pineapple and/or raisins and, frankly, I do not care for that combination. This one, though. This one was different. My sister and I both downed double servings. Even my 2-year-old nephew seemed to really enjoy it (although if I'm being honest, he may have been more motivated by the lemon San Pellegrino we were bribing him with. . .). Only the thinnest barrier of social propriety kept me from grabbing the serving bowl and shoveling the rest of it in my mouth Cookie Monster style.

After the gentlest of prodding, Carol graciously passed along her recipe, which was mostly an ingredient list because she just eyeballs it (told you - great cook!). I have been tinkering around for awhile and came up with a slightly modified version that I love. I've found that it the trick is to let it sit for at least a few hours or, even better, overnight. Be warned that this recipe makes a lot of salad, but there are worse things.

The best thing about this recipe? It is so easy. The salad goes particularly well alongside sandwiches (grilled cheese and egg salad are my favorites) or cooked fish. Or straight from the mixing bowl, Cookie Monster style. No judgement here.
 
Peel and grate 1 pound of carrots. You will have around 3 3/4 cups shredded carrots. The number of carrots you will need varies quite a bit depending on the size - I used 6 medium this time, but in the past I've used up to 10 or 11 small carrots.

Also, for this batch I used a pretty rainbow carrot mix (usually purchased from Trader Joe's, although I'm starting to see the rainbow carrots at more and more grocery stores), but standard orange carrots work just as well. It really is easiest to grate carrots in a food processor, but if you don't have one or want an arm workout, bust out the box grater and go to town.

Dump into a large mixing bowl and add 1/3 cup (1.5 ounces) dried cranberries, 1/4 cup sliced or chopped nuts (I used almonds, but just about any kind works here - you want 1 ounce total), and 1/2 cup unsweetened, coconut chips or large-flaked coconut or 1/3 cup of shredded coconut (1 ounce total). I tend to prefer the larger coconut flakes (see a picture below) for purely aesthetic reasons, but I'm a little kooky like that. I have used both shredded coconut (the small kind) and large coconut flakes and both work great. Either way, do make sure the coconut is unsweetened.

Gently stir to combine. 

In a separate bowl, prepare the dressing. Whisk together the following: 3-4 tablespoons olive oil or grapeseed oil, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest (from about 1/2 lemon), 1/2 teaspoon curry powder or garam masala, and a dash of salt and freshly ground black pepper.


A quick word about curry powder, including some facts to impress your friends at your next party. (Or not.) Curry is actually a Western invention - the colonial Brits basically made up the word as they tried to recreate the dishes they were served in Pakistan and India. Curry powder is a mix of spices that can vary pretty wildly, although the standard spice companies tend to have fairly similar compositions. You're more likely to find interesting variations at gourmet spice shops. Although some people have pretty strong, negative feelings about curry powder (looking at my father here. . .) this recipe uses just enough to flavor the dish without being anywhere near overpowering. You can also use garam masala, another spice mix, in place of the curry powder. It adds a slightly sweeter taste that I really like. 
 My favorite varities of curry powder and garam masala. Ignore the word "hot." That is a lie.

Toss the dressing with the salad ingredients. Done!

I strongly recommend letting this sit overnight, as the flavors are much better the next day.

Cousin Carol's Carrot Salad
Adapted from Cousin Carol's famous (to me) recipe
This recipe is best if allowed to sit for a few hours or overnight before serving
Serves 6-8


1 pound carrots, peeled and grated (about 3 3/4 cup)
1/3 cup (1.5 ounces) dried cranberries
1/4 cup (1 ounce) sliced or chopped nuts (almonds, pistachios, walnuts, etc.)
1/2 cup (1 ounce) large flaked coconut OR 1/3 cup (1 ounce) unsweetened shredded coconut

Dressing:
3-4 tablespoons olive oil or grapeseed oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon curry powder or garam masala
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

1. Combine grated carrots, dried cranberries, coconut, and nuts in a large mixing bowl. Gently combine and set aside.

2. Whisk together dressing ingredients and combine with carrot mix. Let sit for a few hours or overnight for the best flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment