Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Roasted Red Pepper Sauce


A few months ago I was at the grocery store and stumbled across a roasted red pepper pasta sauce. It sounded positively delicious and I decided to try and whip it up myself. I was looking for a delicious alternative to the general jarred tomato pasta sauce, but something almost just as easy, requiring only a few more steps than opening a jar and not that many dishes.



There are two ways you can go about doing this; I generally use jarred roasted red peppers from Trader Joe’s unless I have roasted red peppers on hand. Last week Micah gave a lovely Veggies 101 post about how to roast and store peppers. Next time you are at the store and red peppers are on sale (because they cost an arm and a leg if they aren’t on sale) grab a few extra roast a few and freeze them to have on hand!

To start off, roughly chop 4 freshly roasted red peppers (or 2 12 oz jars), finely chop your small sized onion and 4-5 cloves of garlic. It will eventually end up in the blender so it doesn’t have to be perfectly chopped.

Heat medium size skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil.  Add onion and garlic. Saute until onions are fragrant, roughly 3-5 minutes. Toss in the peppers and drained tomatoes and simmer for 2-3 minutes and flavors are blended.



Throw mixture into a blender and blend until smooth consistency. If you need to add 3 Tablespoons of liquid to help the blending, go ahead and do so. 



Now there are two ways you can go about finishing up the sauce.
1)   If I am feeling a want a “deeper” flavor (key word for richer or fatter :) I will use another ½ Tablespoon of butter to melt over medium high heat in the skillet before adding the sauce from the blender. Next you can add the milk or half and half until it is the consistency you prefer. I haven’t ever added more than about 1/2 cup.
2)   If I am wanting a lighter sauce (usually when I am serving it with vegetables) than I will add olive oil and heat over medium high heat before adding the sauce back into the pan. Next I add a little broth or milk/cream to thin it out to desired consistency.


Add 1 teaspoon of both dried oregano and basil. If you have fresh herbs that would be BEST, but if you don't, dried would do. Go ahead and taste your sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Now since I can’t pick out your taste buds or tomato for you, this part is 100% up to you. I taste my sauce and if I feel like it’s too sweet add a squeeze (~2 teaspoons) of lemon. 


Serve over pasta, vegetables or as an alternative to any dish with your typical pasta sauce. My husband’s favorite use of this sauce is with spaghetti squash.

Serves 4-6
Makes equivalent of a 24 oz jar
Roasted Red Pepper Sauce

Ingredients:

1 small onion, chopped (1/2 Cup)
4 roasted red peppers OR 2 12 oz jars of roasted red peppers
1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes or 3 fresh tomatoes
1 1/2 tablespoons of butter or olive oil, divided
1/2 cup of half & half or broth
fresh basil and oregano (opt. 1 teaspoon dried basil and oregano)
optional- lemon

salt to taste

Directions:

Chop 4 freshly roasted red peppers (or 2 12 oz jars), finely chop your small sized onion and 4-5 cloves of garlic. Heat medium size skillet over medium heat and add 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil.  Add onion and garlic. Saute until onions are fragrant, roughly 3-5 minutes. Toss in the peppers and drained tomatoes and simmer for 2-3 minutes and flavors are blended.

Throw mixture into a blender and blend until smooth consistency. If you need to add 3 Tablespoons of liquid to help the blending, go ahead and do so.

Now there are two ways you can go about finishing up the sauce. 
1)   If I am feeling a want a “deeper” flavor (key word for richer or fatter :) I will use another ½ Tablespoon of butter to melt over medium high heat in the skillet before adding the sauce from the blender. Next you can add the milk or half and half until it is the consistency you prefer. I haven’t ever added more than about 1/2 cup. 
2)   If I am wanting a lighter sauce (usually when I am serving it with vegetables) than I will add olive oil and heat over medium high heat before adding the sauce back into the pan. Next I add a little broth or milk/cream to thin it out to desired consistency.

Add 1 teaspoon of both dried oregano and basil. If you have fresh herbs that would be BEST, but if you don't, dried  will do. Go ahead and taste your sauce. Add salt and pepper to taste. Now since I can’t pick out your taste buds or tomato for you, this part is 100% up to you. I taste my sauce and if I feel like it’s too sweet add a squeeze (~2 teaspoons) of lemon.

No comments:

Post a Comment