Monday, August 18, 2014

For the love of...

So we have 6 girls in our family. All of us love vegetables. And I do mean LOVE. Not just tolerate. I think a day does not pass without some sort of text, conversation, or email chain with a  recipe modified to include more of this plant medicine. That's a pretty good win for my parents. For those of us with spouses and children, that's a slightly different story. My husband loathes most vegetables and when I met him had not consumed a single fruit (that was not in a Jamba Juice or in ice cream) for about 5 years. Major yikes factor. I think he had just enough OJ to keep him from being "that guy that made scurvy come back."

C'est moi. Illustrating my love of veg.


In any case, over the course of the 7ish years we've been married, Its become a slight obsession for me to make things that were "Collette-level" on the heath spectrum but "spouse approved for taste." No small feat for a man who has texture issues, is a self-diagnosed "super taster" (read as: can't tolerate cilantro...WHA????), and has had limited veg exposure. Side bar, I am a vegetarian (and we sister run a pretty wide range of semi-vegan, super strict, and flexitarian), so we will for sure have an entire blog post about plant-based protein-rich foods.

Then enter little D man (almost 2 now) into the picture. It was very important to me to get the best possible, nutrient-dense foods into this goober, and have him love them, and have a great example from both of his parents. BOTH of his parents. :)

Little D man eating my homemade garlic hummus with raw zucchini, snap peas, and baby portabellos. 

My posts will focus on the Collette tested, spouse and baby approved recipes that have become favorites. Spoiler alert, you can have veggies in pancakes, in cookies, and in yogurt!

Check back often for posts/new recipes from all of us contributing sistas. We will keep your palate engaged, your kids, spouses, friends, and family trying new things. Here are some more spoiler alerts for future posts. Now go veg out.

The importance of cooking with those kiddos...

Sweet potato kale "Pesto" za. 

High protein, veg-filled, flax "pancakes"

 Szechuan lo mein overloaded with veg...you're welcome in advance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment